Re: Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 stainless steel reed harmonica

I'll be honest, I don't own other Seydel harps.  I've tried them,
and while they seem better out of the box that some other brands,
they haven't been enough better to be "performance ready" for me.
Add to that the accessibility issues -- I can't walk into Guitar
Center and buy one, for instance -- and the fact that I haven't been
buying a lot of new harps lately, and, well, I haven't had a lot of
experience with them.

But I have been watching what Seydel is doing.  I have seen their
low tunings, their special tunings commonly available (paddy,
circular, custom), their commitment to service.  And the idea of a
commercially available harp with steel reeds is genuinely new.  So I
tried one.  I like it.  It's very close to "performance ready" right
out of the box for me.  I still did a few things to mine -- tuned up
the 3 blow, tempered the intonation to equal, polished the front
edges of the reed plates, adjusted a couple of gaps -- but far less
than I'd do to any other stock harp I've tried.  Plus, there's the
promise of longevity of the reeds, and the hope that Seydel is just
getting started in this area, and will eventually introduce
something with steel reeds that's closer to my needs (plastic comb,
full-length covers, equal tempered tuning, if not Paddy Richter out
of the box).  I want this product to succeed so Seydel will broaden
their offering.  I think it's a great thing.

-tim