Re: Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 stainless steel reed harmonica

fjm wrote:
> I'm thinking the hardcore Marine Band players will be thrown
> for a loop by the covers.  Not being open on the ends is huge.
> <snip>
> I don't like the rounded holes because it makes the edge more
> ambiguous.
> <snip>
> The wider spacing and overall longer scale length takes away
> from what I can span with my tongue.  You end up with longer
> wider movements for just about everything.

I guess this is another case of "to each his own".  I don't give a
hoot about the openings on the covers.  I don't like the fact that
they're tabbed, and would prefer full length.  I love the comb, and
find that it's extremely comfortable on the mouth and tongue.  I was
surprised to find that it's not actually any taller than my Golden
Melody comb.  I prefer the wider reed spacing, as the combination of
that and the comb ends makes it easier for me to find the correct
hole.

I don't expect I would ever crush one flat, unless it was in my pocket
and I rolled over on it wrestling with my kids on the floor.  I
couldn't care less about the box, aside from saying it seems more
environmentally friendly to use paperboard than plastic.  My boxes
tend to get recycled anyway, and "working" harps go into the gig
cases.

The covers were always my least favorite thing about Big Rivers, and I
would never swap the covers from a Big River onto this harp.  I have
heard that the Favorite and Session covers will fit the 1847, but
require longer screws.  They should be available from Rupert, or from
other sources in Europe, maybe Ben Bouman or harponline.de or from
Seydel directly.

The more I play mine, the more I like it.  I will definitely be buying
more!  But, to each his own...

-tim