Re: [Harp-L] Re: Richard Hunter and RP200

Jim McBride asks a lot of great questions about the RP200, my answers follow the questions below.

Thanks, RH

<  (1) I was interested at one point in one of the larger Digitech RP units and did
<some reading on-line. I seem to remember reading complaints that the gain was too
<high for feeding into a PA and that you had to set the level very low. I know you
<gig with yours all the time ... has this been an issue for you? Is it easy to adjust
<the level on the fly if necessary without disturbing the presets? Can the expression
<pedal be set for volume or level?

The gain on the RP is fine for a PA.  You can run it in via a direct box, which I did for a benefit gig in Toronto with a loud rock band last night, or straight in to any 1/4" hi-Z channel.  The issue isn't the output gain on the RP; it's setting the amp and cabinet models and EQ up to avoid feedback.  Once that's done, you should have no problem using the RP with any amp that's designed to reproduce the sound without a lot of added distortion or color. The band, the sound man, and the audience loved the sound of the RP200 last night, which is nice because it was my first road test for the new Audix Fireball patch set I developed.

<  (2) When you use a vocal mic with the RP200 are you using a Lo-Z to Hi-Z impedance
<adapter, or just an XLR to 1/4" cable?

Depends on the mic.  If the mic is a lo-Z mic, you need the adapter.  I use such an adapter with my Audix Fireball, for example, and don't use it with my Astatic JT-30.

<  (3) Its important for me to be able to get a nice clean sound, with maybe just
<reverb or delay. Can I get this through the RP200? I have a Line 6 Pod that I like
<but I don't use much anymore for live playing because it seems to suck out all
<the tone when played clean. For some reason this is very noticeable when playing
<the Pod into a PA system - but is not the case at all when I use it to record into
<my PC.

The RP200 has a couple of VERY nice "clean" amp models based on the Roland JC-120 amp. The Blackface amp model also produces very nice clean tones when the gain settings are kept low.

<  (4) Another problem I have with my Line 6 Pod is that I have a hard time getting
<different settings to have the same output level. The gain seems to vary a lot between
<different amp models. Each time I switch settings my volume varies and its hard
<for me to get a consistent overall volume out of the PA at a gig. Has this been
<an issue with the RP200.
<  [note: before hitting send, I went to your website and read the description of
<your patches and you already addressed this issue. It says you matched the levels
<for each patch, Jim]

Yeah, you've just got to spend the time programming the thing to get the levels to match up.  I keep a couple of patches in my set that have a higher output level, so I can get a little louder when the guitar player does.

<  I look forward to hearing your responses and if I pick up an RP200 I will certainly
<buy your patch set for $15. That's a great deal. One thing I can't find
<any info on is how to load the patches into the RP200.

You have to load them in by hand, one parameter at a time. Takes around an hour for a full set once you get used to twirling the dials.

By the way, I bought a Digitech RP350 a little while ago, but so far I haven't made a lot of headway in programming it for the harp. It would be nice if I could, because the 350 has the ability to transfer patch sets via USB. But there you go.