[Harp-L] Need help repairing Amphenol mic cable connector

In a message dated 4/10/2007 3:24:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Windsaver
writes:

I believe that those connectors are still available from Amphenol.   Try
checking out Mouser electronics (google it) to get some.  You might  also find
them from Antique Electric Supply.  I assume you are talking  about those fairly
large 3 or 4 pin connectors.  You might be able to  find the cables
pre-assembled from one of the online harmoinca  stores.   If the only issue is that the
wire broke off at the solder  joint, then simply solder the wire back on the
connector.  There is a  small set screw on the side that you need to loosen to
get the connector to  slide apart if I remember right.

Thanks for the info.  Re disassembly, yes, it is the only issue and  yes
there is a set screw, but I've been unable to slide it upwards and out of  it's
housing to enable me to gain access to do the solder job.
   Do these connectors even come apart?  Or is it  possible that if i tin the
wire first, I can heat the center conductor  from the outside (without it
disassembling) and manage a  successful solder?  Seems unlikely.
  Or can the conductor (which is in the center of what appears to  be a
Bakelite material) be pried out of the center, to enable me to  access the area to
be soldered?
  I appreciate all help.
ron