[Harp-L] Death of live music

Hey,

We have no blues or jazz venues here , so I can't address that. The closest would be up in Pittsburgh and I believe Sam Blancato has already addressed that. I am much more in tune :) with the Bluegrass, gospel, Old Time scene, but even in those genres ( which are very popular here) there have been several venues that had to close within the last few years because they couldn't meet expenses.

We run a House Concert series ( 4 concerts a year ) and draw 28-40 people for each at $10 a head for a two hour concert. The performers get the entire gate and all the CDs they can sell. We do this to bring live music into our area. However, I would never book an all blues act - no one would come. Plus we are totally acoustic - no amps , mics, boards or effects. The number in our audiences seem to be growing with each show. Our maximum is 52 seats.

I play paid gigs, but I also play at our Farmer's Market booth and in the local hospital lobby once a week. I have had teens and young kids come up to me, who have never seen a live person playing music - only TV or ipod, CD or radio. Sad, huh!

Barbara
"Too many people die with their music still inside - Let it out!"
Strath an De' Farm
http://www.strathande.com
Seydel Harmonicas
www.seydelusa.com