[Harp-L] Re: Playing what people want to hear

Here's my experience (San Jose/SF Bay Area)

Formerly played (harp, bass, guitar) in bands doing all types of music (classic rock, Billy Joel Tribute, vocal jazz, classic country, modern country, Rock en espanol, Hawaiian). I now do mostly originals in my own band and play bass in a jazz trio to keep my bass chops up.

First things first - if you haven't bought Randy's Musicians Handbook, it tells it like it is.
Before reading it I played in a couple of bands and that was it. After reading it I put together several bands to work in any configuration from solo, duo, trio to several pieces doing the stuff listed above. If you want to make a living as a musician you can't afford not to read it. I've decided I'd rather play what I really love (which right now is to write original music with some great players and friends) than to make a living at it, so I no longer count as a professional musician.

No affiliation,...
http://www.randysinger.com/musiciansHandbook.html#

Venues
Most of the small clubs went out of business or changed format once they started enforcing the non-smoking laws. Very few folks younger than 30 going to clubs except dance/hip-hop.
Coffee shop owners have figured out that they don't have to pay to get acts to play, so they don't.

Music -
Classic rock has appeal across all age groups. Tribute bands are big.
Modern hits pay - you can play the songs terribly, but if you have energy and people can sing along, you'll get a good following (not my cup of tea, but friends do well at this).
Mexican/spanish speaking music brings the best money ($20-50 cover charges are not uncommon).
Hot girls and guys dancing sells.

Lots of original music and much of it is really great, but gigging to support your CD seems a thing of the past (except at coffee shops). As far as youngsters, I have a 17 and 24 year old. They listen to lots of local original music and proudly trade mix CDs of new tunes they've found, but it is almost all electronically generated and they don't really get all pumped up for shows like my friends and I did in the 70's.

Happy harping!

Ned
www.nedkraft.com