-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: Trip Henderson [mailto:trip.tunes@xxxxxxxxx]
Lähetetty: 2. huhtikuuta 2007 18:51
Vastaanottaja: Haka Harri
Kopio: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Aihe: Re: [Harp-L] The reemergence of live music!

Harri,

I knew as soon as I hit the send button that I should keep my personal opinions to myself. My comment was not directed at Clarke.  I'm a big fan of William Clarke and he has always been my favorite of the West Coast guys.

The point I was attempting to make was that the music we offer needs to compel people to come out.  Originality is part of that equation.

Best,
Trip

On 4/1/07, Haka Harri < harri.haka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Trip Henderson wrote:
> Do we really need another band that is
> derivative of
> a derivative (for example a band that sounds like Bill Clarke
> sounding like
> George Smith).

Bill Clarke was influenced by George Smith but didn't sound like him. He also got lots of "derivation" from eg. jazz sax and organ players. Most musicians are influenced by other musicians and that will always be the case.

One classic example is Eric Clapton. He is a self-admitted derivative of, but hardly sounds like Robert Johnson.

Harri