RE: [Harp-L] RE: Harp Switches

Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:07 PM
Jason Pos (JG)wrote, in part:

"What about sticking harps back-to-back (like the double Puck) and even
stacking two back-to-back harps to give you four keys in a compact
bundle?  Must be quicker than using the speed of a magician to take out
and put back harps of different keys from various pockets?"

Back in the early 70s I saw Charlie McCoy switch harps by using a
necklace which he improvised. It had several harps attached at equal
intervals around his neck. Each harp was held to it by a short length of
string; presumably affixed to one of the cover plate screws/nails. Not
trying to make it sound ridiculous, but the best way I can describe it
is that it was constructed similar to the jingle-bell collars worn by
court jesters in the days of old. He would always have the "ready harp"
no further than a foot from his mouth. It was a pretty cool spectacle
when he would whirl it around to the next harp and keep on blowin'.

John Balding