From: Rick Dempster [mailto:rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:46 PM
To: Henderson, Peter; bluegrassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Old-Time Harmonica

I know exactly what you're talking about Trip.Staying in the top two
octaves is the way to go, except where you need the major 7th in 2nd
position. I haven't heard of Arteleus Mistric, but I'm familiar with the
cajun approach to the harp. I do that sort of thing myself a fair bit. I
think you're talking about the 'segonduer' (I think that's what they
call it) in cajun. My favourite example of this is the recordings of
Denis McGhee & Sadie Courville.
I have a recording of Red Parham live (one track only) on a Folkways
album entitled something like '39th Old Time Fiddler's Convention at
Union Grove North Carolina' doing 'Lost John' with a buck dancer
stomping away in the background. Sometime I'll get round to posting my
own efforts on Myspace. I'm technologically out of the running at the
moment.
I saw Onie Wheeler on the Opry back in 1980 and had a chat with him
later as well.
I've heard of Mark Graham,  but not The Improbabillies. Thanks for the
tip.
I have a copy of the Boiled Buzzards  with David Rice which is a pretty
fair effort at using the harp in an OT setting.
Have you heard Sam Hinton? He's coming from somewhere else really, but
he can sure get around some of the old fiddle tunes.
All the best,
Rick Dempster