[Harp-L] ***SPAM*** Now's the Time: Diatonic/Chromatic

Recently learned the head to Charlie Parker's blues tune "Now's the Time,"
which is in F. Fairly tricky for me on chromatic: there is a jump down
from F to Bb, and then a jump from the Bb up the better part of two
octaves to Ab.

Interesting to note that this head is much easier on the diatonic: I play
it in 2nd on a Bb harp; the jump down from the F is a cinch: 2 draw to 1
blow, and the jump up to the Ab isn't much harder:that necesitates a 6
hole overblow, but that is the easiest OB, I think, and the Ab is more of
a passing tone so intonation isn't much of an issue.

One thing I've found interesting as I've learned more and more about
playing chromatic harmonica is just how much of the stuff I've learned to
play on chro transfers over to diatonic, even without extensive
overblowing.It may just be that, even if and when I'm able to achieve some
mastery of the chromatic, I will always choose the diatonic for  certain
types of jazz tunes, say certain types of rhythm changes tunes {"Lester
Leaps In" comes to mind}.

Finally, on the subject of Chris Michalek...I have serious doubts about
the diatonic as a fully chromatic instrument. I doubt anyone will ever be
able to play ballads on the diatonic with the same mastery and beauty that
Toots, Leighton and some others do...but I also think Chris Michalek is
one HELL of a good harmonica player, and I own and like his CD. If I lived
in Phoenix I'd go to his shows...if I were him I'd look at it this way:
Jason Ricci likes my playing; some other people don't. I could live with
that.
WVa Bob