Re: [Harp-L] Getting Good and Getting Even Better

On Sep 20, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Ken Deifik wrote:

>Here's a relevant portion:
>"...Ericsson argues that what matters is not experience per se but "effortful study," which entails continually tackling challenges that lie just beyond one's competence. That is why it is possible for >enthusiasts to spend tens of thousands of hours playing chess or golf or a musical instrument without ever advancing beyond the amateur level and why a properly trained student can overtake them in >a relatively short time.

This was my favorite part of the article, because in my experience, if you do want to get really good, all you have to do is this one simple thing. Another researcher, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has written extensively on the subject of achievement, the attainment of flow, and happiness. This is his primary thesis, that in order the achieve these things you must regularly involve yourself in an activity that pushes you just a bit beyond your current abilities.

I highly recommend his book, Finding Flow, which is available at Amazon, and is carried at most libraries. Recently, to my great surprise, I found a music teacher by the name of Andreas Burzik in Germany, who is teaching using Csikszentmihalyi's techniques. He has some wonderful information on his website, that if diligently followed, will allow anyone to get into a flow state while practicing.

From his site,

"There are two main inner dispositions that get in the way of accessing the flow-state while practising: playing with fear and overambition or impatience. Both attitudes are predestined to cause physical tension and therefore hinder the free flow of energy in the body. The above described subtle contact to the instrument is impeded. The excessive striving for perfection and the desire ‘to get everything right’ is another mental pitfall...........

Here's the link to his website,

http://www.practising-in-flow.de/main.html

I'd suggest that those interested should bookmark the site and spend some time absorbing the information. I hope I'm not coming across as too ardent, but this stuff really does work, and is surprisingly simple once you get the concepts down.

Mark