[Harp-L] Playing in the groove...

How does one define playing in the groove?  How does
one acheive this?

I was asked these questions on a board after I posted
comments comparing two guitar players. I described one
as playing in the groove and the other on top of it.

To me, I understand the difference, but have a hard
time explaining it...especially on a computer.

Just out of discussion's sake, and since there are so
many types of music we all seem to discuss, where does
the groove originate?  Do different insturments get
the groove going in different genres?

What harp players play "in the groove"?

To me, rhythm is the key component of groove.  In a
four piece band, I try to use the drummer and bass
player for rhythmic motifs and starting points.  I
then use the guitar to determine note choice.  So the
solo I hear in my head start with the phrasing first,
and then note choice second.

Now everybody play nice!

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica

http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.niterail.com

"Capitalize on your own strengths; develop your own style.
The world needs another harp player doing Little Walter licks
as much as it needs another Elvis impersonator."
-Paul deLay