Re: [Harp-L] Practicing fast harp runs

Jim McBride wrote:
<I'd like to work on increasing my speed on the harmonica. Anyone have <any suggestions for riffs or practice runs to increase speed? Of course <the blues scale up and down the harp is good and I already work that. <Some triplets too. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

The previous suggestion on this list regarding bluegrass tunes (jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc.) is a good one. You can find a lot of exercises in my book "Jazz Harp" that are useful, and if you really want to stretch it, try Joseph Viola's exercises for saxophone.

Whatever material you use:
- practice with a metronome or drum machine (more fun than a metronome) to keep you in time
- start as slow as you need to start to play everything in time
- speed up the pace one step at at time, using the metronome to keep you honest

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com