[Harp-L] Re: Portable digital recording studio

Hurricane sez :

Sound advise from all so far . What's your budget ?

My take was made after several years of studying the market and I am aware of the units that so far have been mentioned so here's my .02s worth on this question .

2 units from Digitech :

GNX3 & GNX4 for a kickin set up that records upto 8 channels ( 2 at a time )on board in stereo or mono , you make the choice since there are so many differnt set ups it offers you  .

These units are 2 channel live portable recorders in the sense they can be picked up and taken easily , however they do require a 120 volt AC connection to power it up .

The GNX3 has a midi drum machine , amp models and uses a 128 mg memory card ( max ) and is being sold at around 399.00 ( msrp is higher ) , the 128 mg limit turned me off , a year later after it's release the GNX4 was released , I waited one year further to see the " bugs " worked out :)

The GNX4 is a brute with a higher price tag , mine was $499.00 and I git it with no sales tax or shipping fee .

It's worth it to me because :

It's got a 2 gig max and that equals 6 hours max time to play with when it come to recording and you can get a 2 gig CF card for under $30.00 now:)I paid $70.00 for one a year ago :(

It's got a better midi drum machine ( it rocks ) than the GNX3 too .

It's got a USB ! ( GNX3 does not ) and allows 4 channels at once of recording via your computer .

Both units are not for the faint hearted week end warrior

- -  but- -

Wow even if you are not a pro type , its a dream to master ( of which I am getting better at every day ) if you can read and there are tutorials available on line free ! If your a serious hitter don't get the GNX3 , the lack of a USB is self explanitory :)

I got interested in the amp modeling thing for my guitar playing first . I learned a thing of two about amp modelers guitar players showed me that made me rethink my point of view on tube amps vs x-tor amps , sound advice from playing pro's is where it's at for me and how I improved my professional playing over the years on harp so I went to pro guitar players and it worked too just like the advice I got from pro harp players .

I still have my tube amps and love them but now in these times of technological break throughs , you can't let something good get past ya !

Once I get my amp models ( It's a mind blower what this thing can replicate in amp and cabinet sounds ) set for my guitar sounds I  will begin on harp amp sounds .

As far as classic amps to play your harp through , there are several like Fenders and other types of tube amps , plus a whole lotta cabinets to choose from British classic cabs to classic American types .

What makes this a killer diller thriller to me is I get to

 " double dip "

so to speak as far as getting a double use for this divise for both my harps and my guitars :)

If you strickly a harp man I would say it's " pricy " but not really in the long run , a set of really nice FX pedals will set ya back a chunk of change in the $200 neighborhood and a digital recording device another $200.00 to $300.00 , so there ya are in the GNX4 territory :)

- -  And - -

It's got a XLR vocal mic with phantom power for those really pricy expensive condensor mics ! Now that's a deal ! , and has line inputs too , ( I use those for my midi guitar synthesizer's  stereo audio out )

And I learned about this via guitar players as well , gear and electric guitars improve every year and so if goes for harps and the players .

Ome thing guitar players have in common with harmonica players as well as other musicians of Jazz , Rock , Blues , and CW (American music's pulse is this ) , the best seek out their own

" Personal "

touch

an individual thumprint on their sound so to speak -

- right -

What the guys at Digitech did was shear genious , they allow you to creat personal sounds electrically with what they call :

" WARP "

You have to read about it at Digitech if your so inclined after  reading this :)

< http://www.digitech.com/products/gnx3.htm > for the GNX3

< http://www.digitech.com/products/GNX4/index.htm  > for the GNX

This ONE BELOW is for the computer geek and it's sleek !

< http://www.digitech.com/products/GNX3000/GNX3000.htm >

Happy hunting blood :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon