RE: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball (V) vs Blues Blaster

Bob Cohen wrote:

"May I suggest you take your rig down to your local music store and do
A/B tests or find someone in your area or just buy one and check it
out.  Your ears need to be the final judge.  IMHO Reading other
people's words about the various gear is informative but ultimately
is like trying to explain the color red without showing it."

You're absolutely right that reading reviews is an extremely poor substitute
for using a mic myself and hearing it.  Unfortunately, when music stores say
they can't allow customers to test microphones before buying due to health
regulations, it makes comparison testing on a limited budget somewhat
difficult without knowing several harp players nearby.  Having said that, is
there anyone in the Albany, NY area who'd be willing to let me try out some
mics?

------

Greg Heumann wrote:

"If I'm right that you're looking for good traditional blues tone, then I
would recommend you either replace the element in your blues blaster with an
MC151 or Shure Controlled Magnetic element (get a gasket to make it fit from
harpmicgaskets.com) - or buy a mic with one of these elements or a
comparable one."

Sounds like the Fireball isn't what I'm looking for after all.  Once I get a
better idea of what some different elements sound like, I think I'll be
going down this route.

Thanks to everyone who responded,

Jim Konish
www.deepblueshag.com