[Harp-L] Do It Up Studio/HarpTime Music

Hello Fellow Harp-l'ers,

I am less than two weeks away from finalizing a new business venture. I am
purchasing a small performing arts studio, The Do It Up Performing Arts
Studio, located in N. Merrick, NY About 20-25 miles from NYC here on Long
Island. Currently there are 8 teachers instructing in Voice, piano, guitar,
bass, horns, violin, dance and drama. I am looking to add harmonica to that
list as well as put on workshops, seminars and jam sessions that include the
harmonica. The current owner (who will stay on as an instructor) has not
done any retail to speak of. Hanging on the walls are a few consigned
instruments and that is it.  As I take over the business I am now going to
have a place to finally open my dream.HarpTime Music. I will be creating a
small retail music shop for all musicians but with a focus on the harmonica.
I would like to become a resource for the metro New York Harmonica
community. This side of the business will have to develop at a slower pace
due to initial financial limitations but my goal will be to eventually have
a selection of harps on display and available from All manufacturers. I also
dream of being a showplace for custom harps as well as amps, mics,
accessories etc.  I want to be able to offer services as well like repair
and the fore mentioned instruction/workshops.

I post this message today for a number of reasons. Like I said, if all goes
well I will be in full possession of the business by Oct. 1st. I would like
to receive any and all ideas, suggestions, help etc. from y'all as I embark
on this new adventure. I look forward to a place that will be based on
face-to-face "live" contact with added value and service. I have no plans to
compete with the internet dealers. Here are some things I want to throw out
to all interested parties for consideration:

1)       Even though I will be servicing NY metro directly I would like to
be a resource for harp player's world wide to get exposure in the NY area.

2)       I plan on teaching beginner & intermediate students in my improve/
ear style method of diatonic playing. I will want to also have teachers
available for advanced diatonic studies as well as chromatic. I will be
offering in studio as well as in home instruction plans

3)       I am not a harp tech.I will need repair professionals to help me
offer repair and customizing services.

4)       I am not an amp tech. I will need professionals to help me offer
these services as well

5)       I will be looking towards the NY area heavy hitters to consider
Masterclass style workshops at my studio.

6)       I definitely want to be a resource to help all NY area performers
promote their shows, cd's etc.

7)       As I mentioned earlier, money will be tight at first when it comes
to stocking inventory. I will be open to any offers from sellers that would
be interested in consignment deals on items they offer the harp community.
Maybe even just display items that could be special ordered through me.
(books and instructional items included)

8)       Of course I will be looking for customers and students so I can
grow HarpTime into something really special!

So that's the deal. All feedback and ideas welcome. Please understand that I
do not know what kind of response this post will receive. All input will be
appreciated but not necessarily acted upon. I have a life long relationship
with our beloved instrument and I will need to make decisions based more on
"business practicality" than on heart! Hopefully I can create something
unique that will bring smiles to the world in many ways AND make a living at
the same time!

Or course I will keep you all updated as things move forward.

Warren Bee