[Harp-L] re: Diatonic to tremolo

Ivan Zivkovic wrote:

"I tried to get tabs for tremolo harp from tabs for diatonic. I assume that you cannot use diatonic tabs for tremolo (maybe iam wrong). I used tabs of Dirty old town (Pouges) and combined tremolo tuning charts from http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/double_reed/ tuning_charts.shtml, and diatonic http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/ diatonic/tune_charts.shtml, and it doesnt seems right. But maybe iam wrong! I hope someone will solve my problem!"

I'll try to help, but really need significantly more information. Basically, to really answer your question I need to know what model tremolo you are playing.

There are at least three fairly common tunings and designs for tremolo harps, and the answer is different for each.

If you are playing a traditional Hohner (or Hering, IIRC) model tremolo, then there could be one major problem (assuming you've read the post about how the holes differ between Richter diatonics and tremolos)--many, maybe most tremolo harmonicas do not start on the same note as a the standard single-reed diatonic. They use the same note layout, essentially, but start at a different point. This will, obviously, significantly effect tablature, as you'll be playing the wrong "holes" as it were.

The standard Richter diatonic in the standard major tuning is tuned as follows:

blow:  C E G C E G C E G C
hole:  1 2  3  4  5  6  7 8 9 10
draw: D G B D F  A  B D F A

Now, many Weiner style tremolos (and some Weiner and Knittlinger octave-harps as well) use the exact same pattern, but start not on the tonic (the one-blow above) but on the third (the two-blow), so you get this:

blow: E......G......C.....E......G........C........E..........G........C...... ..E
hole: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
draw: ....G.....B.......D......F.......A.........B........D.........F... ......A.......B

(Note--the staggered layout is to illustrate the fact that each pair of reeds is located in separate holes, as was pointed out previously)

So, it's the same layout, just starting and stopping at a different point. I have no idea why standard diatonics use one and Western tremolos the other--random act of history. Notably, most of the diatonic accordions (and concertinae) use the tremolo-style tuning as the basis of their tuning schemes.

So, if you are playing this type of tremolo and have been going by tab, well, you may very well be off by a hole as it were.

If you've been playing an Asian or Asian-style tremolo, well, things are totally different there, and I won't get into it now except to point you towards this site:

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q15.html

And this:

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q36.html

Hope this helps.