RE: [Harp-L] reading things into the best

I am all for anyone who tries to play anything on the harmonica, period. By
that I mean, more power to them all and the best of luck to them whether I
like their style of music/playing or not. I will go on to say that there are
many wonderful players who for one reason or another, in my opinion at
least, please make note of that I am writing IMO, rarely get mentioned on
Harp-l in a serious manner. We have just lost one of them; Sam Myers.

As far as Kim Wilson and Rick Estrin are concerned, what if we look at it
this way for a moment. I was told to go see Kim Wilson by the members of the
Muddy Waters Band. So I went to see him on the 5th of July, 1976 in
Bunratty's in Boston. I remember because Muddy said to go and I drove back
to Boston after my 4th of July gig north of Boston.

Kim was playing with a band billed as Jimmie Vaughan and the Thunderbirds.
Kim and Jimmie played thru Fender Bassman amps; 2 each hooked up together as
I remember. Mike Buck had all old Slingerland drums and a 28 inch bass drum.
Keith Ferguson played thru an Ampeg-B25. At that point I had seen most
people from Monk to Muddy, from Cecil Taylor to Houndog Taylor, Bob Marley,
Duke Ellington, Otis Rush.. I had never seen a band with that kind of
equipment on stage. I had never heard a band that had that type of sound and
as they played mostly Louisiana and Texas blues with the occasional Jimmy
Reed or Jimmy Rogers thrown in; I never saw a band play that style of music
for an entire gig. There were perhaps 30 people there..perhaps less..and I
knew them all. How difficult was it to do this in July of 1976? Let's ask
that question. If we were alive and playing, what were we doing?

As for Rick Estrin, whether it is your style or not, how many harmonica
players have been writing what most people call such entertaining songs for
so long? How many of us are doing it now?

Just a thought.

Keith Dunn
Rotterdam, Holland