RE: [Harp-L] Miles Davis - So What (mild ob intonation talk)

What would you use to play a modal tune that goes from Dm to Ebm?
but I want to know what you'd do to really learn what Miles played on that
tune.

I would use a chromatic. Not trying to be smart or anything here - I use a
chrom for this tune.  A solo-tuned chromatic in C would be a choice as you
immediately have have Dm and Ebm (both dorians) by playing the Dm scale
without using the slide, then stick in the slide to get Ebm.

If you don't already play a bit of chrom it would be a good starter tune.
Any chrom tuning would do, but probably the C solo would be easiest.

There are transcriptions out there, probably on the web, and Richard Hunter
has an analysis of the tune in his book Jazz Harp, which has been mentioned
on the list recently.

All the best,
Eugene