Re: [Harp-L] Re:Sometimes you just can't win.

On Sep 2, 2006, at 11:52 PM, moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:

I posted recently about Tony Glover and said he (and Dylan) were the only white harp players in my area when I began. I was chastised off list, with a certain amount of sarcasm, I guess for saying that they were white. What was the point of mentioning that, was the remark...

It's a very valid point Steve. Most blues players of the period you spoke of were black. I can say this, that while I was working in Lousiana back in the early 60s, I went to see at least 11-12 harsichordians, and with the exception of Delbert McClinton (Shreveport 1961), the rest were not of the 'bianco' persuasion. Or so I have been led to believe. I don't know for sure, as I am color- blind. Too bad everyone isn't.

After resisting the urge to return the sarcasm and say that I like to include a racist remark or two whenever I can, I thought maybe I should post and and say that I probably should have worded that differently.

Why, are there 'wording' police afoot? Then I'm in big trouble as I have no formal literary education.

Glover was the only blues harp player I knew of in this area at the time, and he was white.... The point being, guys like Glover and Butterfield and Musselwhite probably exposed the blues to an audience that might not have found the blues otherwise, or not as easily.

Exactly, thereby legitimizing your wording.

Glover was doing his thing in an area (Minnesota) that was predominantly white at the time.

Wasn't it EVER. (giggle). I understand that Italians were rare too, so the head of the mafia in that area was
Maori............. bada-bing

I hate it when you can't say black or white without someone jumping on it. I'll probably get flamed for this, too...

I don't see why, you have always been a classy guy and I'm sure 'I' would remember that any time I read your fine posts. Don't worry about it.
smokey-joe (& the cafe s)
---
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp