[Harp-L] Tony Glover

   Hey harpers,
                        Glad this thread got started. Mr. Glover's book was the first  I got on how to play blues harp. Though I wouldn't call it definitive and exhaustively thorough , it was the Bible on the subject for a long time and the writing style couldn't have been any cooler. Unfortunately, I don't think I still have mine (I bought it about 38 yrs. ago) but I remember plenty. One quote that I think is particularly apropos in this era of Poppers and Levys (as contrasted w/ Butterfields, Musselwhites & Jacobs) I paraphrase:"if all you're trying to do is see how many notes you squeeze out of the thing what's the difference between you and an IBM (this was a long time ago) computer with an air hose ?' "This book was written for those who long to make the sound of blues on this humble instrument". (I'm sure someone will provide the exact quotes.)
       Also, as far as that old saw goes about teachers generally not being  performers:
  musicians should be the last to invoke that cliche. To name a few reasonably good musicians who were also teachers: J.S. Bach, A. Mozart, A. Segovia, Tedd Green,
  Joe Pass, Chick Corea, Dave Weckl . I'm sorry but you can't even come close to making that case .Sometimes cliches are based in reality but this one clearly holds no water. In Mr. Glover's case, however, I 've heard he's less than spectacular on the instrument he loves but I still wouldn't hold that against his book which stands on its own.
                                                                                        Chris

Chris "Hammer" Smith
Hammer Smith Band
Official Myspace Page http://myspace.com/chrishammersmith