[Harp-L] "Goofy" Gig

I had the unexpected and extreme pleasure this past Friday
(10/27/06) of sitting in with an Austin act called the Biscuit
Brothers (http://www.biscuitbrothers.com/).  The "brothers", Dusty
and Buford, and their "sister", Buttermilk (Buttermilk Biscuit, get
it?) host a locally produced program that provides musical education
and entertainment for children, and airs on many PBS stations across
the country.  They perform for benefits and fund raisers and the
like, and were performing for a benefit for an area food bank.
Their usual accordion player was unable to make it, and I was asked
by the producer (who also happens to be the drummer in my jazz
band!) to sit in with them, I guess as the token "free reed"
instrument ;-)

Let me tell you, it was a blast!  We performed for about 1000
screaming children in Halloween costumes in an auditorium with built-
in sound reenforcement and live video feed for the big screen
monitors.  In addition to a couple of original tunes written for the
show we did such "goofy" classics as "This Old Man", "Old
MacDonald", "Oh Suzannah!", and the "Hokey Pokey" (THAT's what it's
all about!).  Most of these songs have extended dialog sessions in
them while the brothers get them to participate in the show.  That
meant that my part was to vamp, noodle, and fill, as well as sing,
clap, stomp, yell, and jump up and down.  I had one two-bar solo in
Old MacDonald, right after they yelled "On his farm he had a
harmonica!"

These guys put so much energy into their music, and the kids
absolutely loved it.  Before we went on we were backstage while the
auditorium was filling.  On the monitors in the video production
room we could see the kids jumping around and hamming for the
cameras (hyped up on all that candy, no doubt), clamoring for the
Biscuit Brothers to come out.  We looked at each others and someone
said, "Now I know how the Beatles felt before Shae Stadium!"

I have to say, it was one of the most fun gigs I ever played.  On
top of that, I got paid.  Imagine that!

-tim