[Harp-L] Good Cheap Small Amp

The Pignose Hog-20 is a great little amp. Surprisingly good. Amazingly good. Read this review of it by Steve "Big Daddy Bluzharp" Harvell at http://members.tripod.com/~bluzharp/hog20.html

  I was playing in my garage last night and was using my home-made tube amp. Its 5W or so, class A, 12AX7 preamp tube and EL84 power tube, 12" speaker. A simple classic design with a few tweaks to sound good for harp. I love this amp and the tone I get from it. With the natural reverb in the garage it sounded fantastic.

  At one point I switched over to my Pignose Hog-20 and to be honest I could barely tell the difference between it and my tube amp. In a blind test I could probably tell, but its not a huge difference. How Pignose can get such a great harp sound out of a small solid-state amp I have no idea.

  If you get one of these amps, turn the SQUEAL (gain) most of the way up, turn the tone way down, and its sounds great! Also, follow the instructions relative to the battery and they will last forever (rechargable). Otherwise you'll be buying expensive replacement batteries. As far as how long the batteries will last when charged, I have no idea? They last longer than I can play!

  The only thing missing in this amp is reverb. Any suggestions on an inexpensive reverb pedal that won't suck the tone out of a harp mic/amp?

  Jim McBride