Re: [Harp-L] Need wireless recommendation

Blunt White wrote:
> Appreciate any suggestions [re: wireless].

Jason added:
> I have been using the Samson Airline Wireless it's small has an XLR
> plug on the transmitter and a small reciever as well. Chris Michalek
> has been using one I think may be better by AKG because it has
> a "distortion" adjustmnet knob on or something like that on it...

I have the same AKG Snap-on wireless that Chris uses, and like it a
lot.  I believe what Jason is referring to is the gain control on the
transmitter that allows you to adjust the transmitter to the output
level of the mic.  The receiver also has a volume control for the
output that you send downstream.  Unfortunately, the AKG unit has been
discontinued.  You may still be able to find them around, maybe even
on close-out.

A few details here: the snap-on is XLR and for loZ microphones.  It
won't work well with hiZ mics, even if they have XLR connectors, like
a JT-30.  For those, you should probably try the AKG "guitar bug"
transmitter, which is 1/4" (male), designed to plug into a guitar
jack.  I think Rosco uses one of these.  They can work with the same
receiver.  They are also fixed-frequency, so you need to be careful if
you're working with other guys who use fixed frequency wireless to
stay off the same bands.

Caveats aside, I give an enthusiastic recommendation to my snap-on
with WMS-40 receiver.  I use mine with a Sennheiser e604 mic, and it's
a great combination.  I think Jason is using his with an E-V RE-10,
which is also a great setup.  I've used mine with my RE-10, and once
you get used to the long wand, it's great.  I prefer the small
profile.  (See Jason's other note about his Greg Heumann volume
control in-line in the package).

Wireless is the only way to go.

-tim