Re: [Harp-L] Finding the Position - "Summertime"

On Oct 21, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Mike Snowden wrote:

I've been dabbling more with a natural minor harp, and I got the old classic
"Summertime" into my head I tried this a while back on a standard Richter,
and I couldn't get it to work then, but this time I got the idea to try a
"Natural Minor". So I picked up and played by ear.... Starting on 7 blow
seems to work really quite well. If I could bend/overblow better, then
starting on 4-draw potentially feels bluesier, but some of the steps at the
end of the verse are much harder. I have the sheet music hidden away on the
shelf, so it's there if I want to see what I've forgotten....

So the question goes, what do other people use? And if a Standard Richter,
what starting position works for you?

Mike

It's in Am, I use a Bb chromatic (in Cm). Play it every week in duo with a soprano sax (a Bb instrument played in Cm). Peloquin would know more about it. p.s. you could also use a C chromo (IN Am) or a G chromo IN Dm. Terminal key will still be Am.
smokey