[Harp-L] New band

I would at least give the new band a shot.  When I first started playing harp, all I wanted to play was blues and over the years I have played many nights of the blues.
  Soon, I started getting work in other musical styles.  I did it to play harp regularly but soon discovered that I not only liked other styles of music but that I was good at most of them.

  I also discovered that playing the harmonica in styles that does not normally feature harp makes your band unique and you the person making it unique.  For example, my reggae band is one of many in Austin, but everyone into reggae knows us as "the band with the harmonica".

  By the way, on practicing and lessons, having a goal as to what you want to acheive technique wise can really spur on practice.  A teacher can cut off years of wasted time by pinpointing where you need to work.  Remember, technique is not musicality.  I would consider setting aside lots of "play time" in your practice schedule.

  Greatest shows?  Antones West Blues Revue, 1989,Cotati Cabaret, Rohnert Park, Sonoma County, Ca.  Cotton, Wilson, Guy, Tucker, Perkins (Collins and Wells were on the tour, but missed the shows.) RIP Clifford ANtones.

  Countless Little Charlie shows.

  One stellar William Clarke show where he went into a trance, sang one verse, played for 5 minutes, sang a verse, played for five minutes all night long.  I saw Clarke 5 times, but this night was special.

  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com