RE: Musselwhite's Band was: Re: [Harp-L] The Best shows I Ever Saw(Long little harp content)

Matt Smart wrote:

"I thought his (Musselwhite's) harp was too low in the mix and the
guitar, while fabulous, was too low. I told the dumb sound man but he
didn't listen. There were about 10 harp players there and we all
agreed."

That is sooooo true about Musselwhite's sound man! He was here in
Tallahassee, FL Thursday, October 12, for a 90-minute, no-break show. (I
call those "gas money gigs".) For THE ENTIRE GIG, the little sound dude
kept getting up and walking to the mixer, farting with the knobs, EQ,
etc. And it just kept getting worse and worse! The bass guitar and kick
drum were WAY overbearing, and like you said, the lead instruments were
buried in the mix. The thing is, when they did the first song, the sound
was perfect. Balanced and clear in all respects. But then, alas, the
"trained professional" had to get involved.
Maybe Ronco should come out with a PA mixer. It could have big letters
across the top: SET IT, AND FORGET IT!

John Balding