Re: [Harp-L] Hi a question about chromatics harmonicas

On Oct 18, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Tim Moyer wrote:

Kevin M. Duggan wrote:
My key is C,  I have the 2 different sheet music in
the key of  E minor for the song.

Joe Leone wrote:
Check again, It's Eb minor, and no you shouldn't change it. Most
bands know it in Eb minor. (If you DO change it, change it to D
minor.)

Just play it in Eb minor with the slide in.

-tim

Yeah, just pretend you're doing it in Dm and push in the slide. That will get you Eb minor. One word of caution though. Be prepared to spend some time (LOTS OF IT) on the stairstepped waterfall that's in the bridge. It is a real p****r. Problem was that this tune is very sax friendly and I'm sure you will remember the great job that Paul Desmondo did on it. Well Paul's sax IS in Eb, so doing the minor was 'friendly' to his instrument.

The waterfall takes the tune out of the easy category (like Round Midnight)) whereas that tune doesn't have the convoluted stairsteps of fifths and waterfalls thirds. More like Harlem Nocturne's waterfalls (only) of 5ths, but almost twice as many notes per measure.

Of course if you are a reader (a GOOD reader), you can use the chart to get it nailed.

smokey-joe p.s. I thought Ray Baretto's job on drums was superb too :)