[Harp-L] Influences

Brothers & Sisters of the Lost Chord,

     Confession, eh?

     I learned to play guitar. I was able to see it, or hear it and play it. Some formal instruction but once you get into it you pick a niche' and that's your general direction.
     The most influential factor was playing "second string", i.e. rhythm guitar. Beatles, Beach Boys, The Ventures; timing was everything. And harmonies. Making others look and feel good.

     One weekend while in #@**@^ I went into a major music store and asked about lessons. First one instructor then another until I met the head guy. "Son, I got good news and bad news. The bad news is there isn't anything we can teach you. The good news is that we'd like you to show up for the local television production this evening...You're just what we're looking for." I was 16 and mom was going to see me go to school and NOT on the road.
     Went to college. Tried out for stage band. Was offered a four-year degree in piano. Nah.

     Well, some years later, a friend was trying out for some bands and his car had been a) in the shop, 2) totaled, 3) repo'ed or 4) stolen. So, good friend that I was, drove him to the try-outs. After each audtion, (which I sat in on because I knew how to emulate his need of rhythm 'style'), the band organizers would be helping me to load the car and they'd say to me "Oh, yeah. He can play the notes but YOU are who we're looking for!"

     Whether hard rock, country, blues, pop, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery it was in my soul. Then I met the lady of my dreams and sold my rig(s) after a few years.

     While in a meeting a couple years ago the discussion opener was 'what do you listen to on the radio driving to work?'. When the focus came to me I had to tell the truth...Nothing! My radio went out three years ago!

     So I went to a local music shop and between arthritis and raising our child a big purchase was out of the question. Always wanted a harmonica, and figured what's the worst I can do with a Marine Band? Oh, brother...

     This past year I joined an established regional harp group, scavanged the Amazon and Internet for blues players and others and tried organizing a harmonica trio (or bigger). And wound up being a 'not-too-bad' chord player.

     Somewhere in there I ripped a lick in front of a C&W group leader and have been asked to show up, "with your harps". Ah, I dunno. I happy with being the best harp player in my house. And I'd like to teach harp.

     What got me started? A guitar instructor in *@&#%% far, far away and long, long ago. Reason? I liked the way HE played.

     I rest my case.

Be Blues,

Suave Blues Man