[Harp-L] Re: Rhythm Willie

A definitive article entitled "The Rhythm Willie Story" by Scott Dirks appeared in the UK magazine Blues And Rhythm a few years back (issue # 127, March 1998.) Highly recommended reading and includes a complete discography. It's still available as a back issue -- see: http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/backissues.html (usual disclaimer - no affilialion.)

As to comparisons with Popper, the only similarity I hear is a preference for the upper register -- other than that, Mr. Hood's playing is more thought out, better executed and just plain hipper than Mr. Popper's. Despite was was written here earlier, Wiilie did not overblow; nevertheless his facility on the diatonic harp was astonishing, particularly his fifth-position work on 'Breathtakin' Blues.' RW was one of the only harpists of his (or any other) era to never play in second position -- most of his recordings are in first.

As to John Kally's question regarding RW's version of "I Got Rhythm," it was recorded in 1950 w/ possibly Memphis Slim's Orchestra and released on Premium PR-866. To my knowledge this has not been reissued. He did do some 1947 recordings with Earl Bostic's band, but only one cut ("Willie's Boogie") was issued on a now-out-of-print French LP (Aladdin/Pathe Marconi 1561321.) This is the sample referred to by Xavier. To repeat Xavier's post, part of the song is here: http://harmonica.typepad.com/harmonica_ramblings/files/Q2EX3.mp3

Altogether Rhythm Willie appeared (either as a leader or a sideman) on 16 sides from 1939 to 1950 (plus 3 more unissued sides w/ Bostic.) It's a shame none of the reissue labels has chosen to group these together on CD.

cheers and best to all,

Tom Ball
Santa Barbara CA