Re: [Harp-L] Unlikely inspiration

Mike Fugazzi <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Who are some of the not so noticeable influences in
> your harp playing?  Any influences that would seem
> odd?

There's probably only two harp players who have significantly influenced my playing. One would be JJ Milteau, for the sparseness of his playing and his focus on note shpaing rather than harmonic inventiveness, and the other would be Junior Wells, for the groove and his particular way of playing funky.

For quite a few years though, I suspect my influences come from elsewhere. First, from horn players, and in particular, Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima and Louis Jordan. Second, like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there's no way Derek Trucks hasn't become an influence on my playing. I listen to him so often that some of it has definitely seeped in. I'd say he's been influential in phrasing and in vibration (another form of note shaping, I ghess).

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com