Re: [Harp-L] Replacement (looser) spring for Hohner 270?

ate: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:57:19 -0400
From: Jim Hanks <jhanks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Replacement (looser) spring for Hohner 270?
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>Hi,
Hi there Jim,

>I've recently purchased an Eb Hohner 270. So far, I like it pretty
>well, but man, that spring is stiff, i.e. requires a lot of pressure
>to push in. I was playing a tune in E last night which requires the
>button in for almost the whole song and that was a struggle.
8<
>Also found reference to an "external spring" at
>http://www.harmonicarepair.com/fathead_main.asp but not sure what
>that's  about.
An external spring is a thin rectangle of metal, which is attached to
the back of the comb, curves around to the button, and has a tappered
and angled tip that slips into the cavity at the back of the button.
  They don't snap and can be retensioned easily enough, but they can
get in the way of some approaches of holding a chromatic harmonica.

>Other Ideas?
 Yes, retention the spring yourself.
You'll need: flat blade screw driver for the mouthpiece and cover
screws; a small hammer and 2mm punch for removing and reinstalling
the spring pin and possibly reinstalling reedplate nails;  possibly a
pocket knife of some description for removing the bottom reedplate,
something like a swiss army knife, for if you can't remove the spring
pin without doing so; a pair of smallish pliers; and a small block of
wood with two nails hammered partially into it, one of them needs be
small enough for the spring coil to fit around it, with about 3/8"
sticking out, distance the nails apart less than the length of the
shorter leg of the spring, and have the other nail only sticking 1/4"
up.
Instructions on disassembly/reassembly here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/maintassemb.html
see if you can remove the spring pin without removing the reedplates
first.

After removing the spring out, first bend the tip of the shorter leg
slightly inward, so it's less likely to snag into the wood when it's
removed again.

To retension the spring, place it over the nail sticking up further,
and brace the shorter leg against the other lower nail - mark the
wood where the long leg sits, so you know your starting point.
  Use the pliers to grip the longer leg, and compress the spring,
keeping the plier aligned with the leg, you don't want to bend the
leg, the intention is to work on the coil part of the spring.
  Just bring the longer leg towards the shorter leg. This takes a bit
of trial and error as you get a feel for it, but don't be afraid to
twist the leg all the way over the short leg and beyond a bit.  And
check frequently as you go, by gently letting the leg return, and
letting go to compare against the mark you made.
  The springs that Hohner have been using for the last few years are
made of stiffer material than earlier springs I've worked with, but
can definitely be set up for a lighter touch.
  If you find a spring is too weak, you simply need to expand the
spring - brace the short leg on the other side of the nail, and use
the pliers to pull the longer leg away, checking ofter.  And again,
the object is not to bend or twist the spring leg itself.

>Thanks,
>Jim
All the best,
-- G.