RE: [Harp-L] SP-20 Edges

I've been using turbolids for the last year and a half, but recently noticed
a significant difference in timbre beween those and an ordinary metal
cover-plated SP-20. (Guess I just wasn't paying attention). I think I like
the somewhat brighter timbre of the plain old SP-20, but noticed a new
problem. Well, actually, it's more of an annoyance than a problem. I've
now been so spoiled by the rounded contours of the tubolids that the edge of
the SP-20 feels uncomfortably sharp in the web of my hand. Part of this is
probably due to something like my having developed a bad habit of holding my
harps more tightly than necessary - I have to watch my tendency to tighten
muscles when applying mental effort. Okay, I'll work on that.
Nevertheless, I wonder if anyone else has noticed the sharpness of the SP-20
comb's lateral edges. The front edge is nicely rounded, but not the sides.
I guess Hohner has a higher regard for lips than for hands. Has anybody
tried to smooth out these edges? If so, how did you do it? Sandpaper,
emery cloth, dremel, eye of newt?

Cliff

It could be that you are gripping the harp too tightly, as you say. I've had to educate myself not to do this, as I was beginning to get a bony nodule on the palm of my right hand from the pressure of the harp. I use SP20s most of the time and Lee Oskars otherwise. After years of trying, I've just about got over this. I honestly don't think it's the harp. It's hard to relax somewhat when you're playing, but it's what you have to do.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm