Re: [Harp-L] Questions I Got Questions

After reading this post, there are a lot more questions: what kind
of harmonica are you playing?  Standard tuned diatonic?  Chromatic?
The two models you mention?  You probably know more about music
theory than I do, so you probably already understand how to
construct chords.  But just saying "chords" doesn't give any
information about key or mode, or the key of harmonica you are
playing, which, despite the fact that it might be chromatic, is
certainly diatonic with respect to the chords that are available.

If you look at the note layout(s) of the harmonica(s) you are
playing, you should be able to see what notes you can sound
simultaneously.  It's simple enough to sound 2, 3, 4 or more
adjacent notes at the same time, which, depending on where you are
on which harmonica, will give you different chords, but unlike, say,
a piano, you can't just randomly select several notes.  You can't,
for example, play draw notes and blow notes together in a chord.

If you're playing a standard tuned diatonic in the key in which it's
marked (e.g., playing in C on a C harmonica), the you can sound a I-
III-V Cmaj chord in three octaves on the 1-2-3, 4-5-6, and 7-8-9
blow holes.  You can also sound a Gmaj chord by sounding the 2-3-4
draw notes at the same time, or a Dmin chord by playing the 4-5-6
draws simultaneously.

Unfortunately, the standard tuned diatonic does not use regular
patterns, so just "playing the channel next to the one you are
aiming for" doesn't always give you the same interval.  Sometimes
you might get a nice interval for the song your playing, another
time you might not.  This is complicated by the fact that you might
NOT be playing the harmonica in the key in which it's marked, in
which case you might get intervals out of the intended mode.  In
addition, there are techniques that involve using your tongue to
block some of the holes in-between ones you are sounding in order to
get octaves and other interval splits.

This is a complicated topic, and I don't think there's a systematic
answer, other than get to know your instrument and what it can do!

-tim