Re: [Harp-L] 19-limit Paddy

mOx wrote:
> Recently, for certain tunes in A minor (Shady Grove), I've
> been using a 'C' Paddy Richter tuned Golden Melody that I've
> modified myself.
>
> O.K. as far as that goes, but I'm not yet satisfied with Equal
> Temperament so maybe 19-limit would do the job..
<big snip>
> As the 2 Blow has been raised a wholetone should I now consider
> it as :
> a) The tonic therefore +00 cents
> b) A sixth and adjust the fine tuning to +06 cents?
> c) Or as a second, +02 cents?
>
> Also, should  I decide to go one step further & raise the 5
> Draw by a semi-tone would you advise me to treat it as a Major
> 7 (i.e. -10 cents) or, as a #4/b5 as in the tri-tone between 5
> & 7 draw (i.e.-13cents)
>
> What would you advise?

You've already discovered the answer: that there is no one right
answer to this dilema.  You need to consider that the adjustments to
pitches for intonation putposes, although they are made according to
their scale degree, and not made *because* of their scale degree,
they are made to create consonance within the chords.  Consider what
chords you are creating through this tuning, and how you're using
it, and that will suggest your course of action.

What I would advise is to consult a higher authority:
http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun4.html

For my part, I play my Paddy Richter tuned harps in as many as six
different positions, rarely use chords, and often double other
chromatic instruments, so equal temperament works better for me.

-tim