[Harp-L] Re: The Best

I started this thread.  (My apologies!)  And then I quickly dropped out.  But now I'm dropping
back in just to say that I agree with just about everything Siegfried said.   It's pretty clear
that some harmonica players are better than others.   But above a certain level, it becomes harder
to distinguish among them.   Even if there were a judged chromatic harp competition between
Stevie, Toots, Hendrik, Robert, Wim and whoever else wanted to compete, and even if Stevie was the
unanimous choice of the judges, SOMEBODY would insist that Stevie was still not the best.
To which I would say "Stevie is still the best, even if some refuse to acknowledge it."
But that's just my opinion.  (Even if I am right!)

My last words on this subject:

When Jimi Hendrix appeared on the Dick Cavett Show, Cavett began his interview by saying "Many
people consider you to be the best guitar player in the world."

Hendrix immediately demurred, shaking his head in denial and saying "No".

Cavett persisted "Well would you agree that you're ONE of the best guitar players in the world?"

To which Hendrix replied "Let's just say I'm one of the best guitar players sitting in this
chair," and then further qualified that with a "maybe".   :>