[Harp-L] Why are there no washers on a harp?

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mwasher.html

    A couple of days ago I sent an email to Lee Oskar asking why there are no washers on a harmonica.  I haven't gotten a response yet.  It probably has to wind itself around the corporation a few laps before anyone considers it.  What washers are used for is explained on the link above.  I have all five Melody Makers and am very satisfied with them.   I took apart a D Melody Maker and tried to replace the reed plates with C major [diatonic, Richter tuned].  I should have known something was amiss when I needed a significant amount of strength to take it apart.  A judo champion must have put it together.  Getting it back together was even harder.  Everything fit, at least to my eyeball.  I just couldn't get a playable seal.  It leaked plenty of air.  When put back together with the Melody Maker plates, it worked fine again.

     I really wasn't fishing for a refund, but am somewhat dissatisfied and annoyed with the engineering, etc.  I think I'm going to deal with it in the future by drilling the holes out and putting nuts, bolts, and washers on.  It would be easier to go to the hardware store than the post office.  The tolerances were very tight all the way around.  I was on the verge of breaking the comb taking off and putting on both plates.  I checked several times to make sure I wasn't using left-handed screws.  I can't see the logic in making such tight tolerances when plastic washers would be ideal to make a seal and create a spring action to holds the reed plates in place.  And what do you think of those pesky little nuts that hold the cover plate on?

I've never seen a harmonica with washers on it!  Is there something I don't know?  Am I going to ruin a harp by drilling out the holes and putting nuts, bolts and washers on it?

Dan

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index