Re: Re: [Harp-L] any signal processing gurus out there?

Garry Hodgson wrote:
<you've commented that the
<reverb (or was it delay?) on the digitech is not very good (or at least not studio
<quality), and recommended using an outboard reverb.  so the same questions apply.
<in what ways does it fall short, and why?  reverb would seem to be a simpler thing
<to get right than modeling the response of a particular tube amp.

Reverbs are actually very complex to model and they use a LOT of processing power.
So when you've got a DSP chip with a limited amount of processing power, you've got
to make tradeoffs between how much of that power you devote to the reverb(s), and
how much you devote to modeling amps, cabinets, effects, etc.  In the RP200, Digitech
apparently decided not to devote a lot of power to the reverbs.

The result is that the reverbs just don't sound great.  Their tails aren't very long or real-sounding,
and their basic tone isn't very exciting.  They're okay in relatively small doses for live work.  I
wouldn't use one on a recording if I had even a relatively cheap dedicated reverb like an Alessis
Nanoverb available.

The new RP 150/250/350 series should have much better reverbs, because since the
RP 100/200/300 was designed (5-6 years ago?):
1) chips have gotten more powerful, and so the new devices have more cycles to devote to reverb, and
2) Digitech bought Lexicon, makers of what may be the finest reverb boxes in the world. I expect
that some of the Lexicon magic will be inside the new pedals.

I'm planning to get an RP350 for Christmas, if Santa is willing.  It's been 5 years since I got the RP200,
and I'm ready to see what 5 years of chip evolution can do.  Also, the RP350 includes emulations of a
couple of devices considered classic by many on this list (like the Boss Dm-2 delay, Fender champ and
bassman amps, etc.), and if it sounds close to those, it's worth more than $200.  You're lucky to
find a DM-2 used for less than $100.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com