[Harp-L] Re: RUPERT / RON - reed replacement kit / thoughts

Hey Ron,

(I'm relying on Harp-L as you mentioned)...Don't worry about giving away "secrets" on Harp-L, all the stuff on my DVDs is pretty much available knowledge, it is just that I put it into a close-up instruction model to make it easier for people to learn. So feel free to post info you get from me or discover by using the videos etc.,

Seydel makes a great pair of pliers that has been customized to remove reeds, and they are part of the toolkit, which costs $99.95 (US website should be up soon :>)). I think the kit is very good, especially if you are starting from scratch, but if you already have some tools it might be repetitive. I think the pliers can be ordered separately, but I don't have any separately in stock. And, the kit includes screws/nuts for replacing reeds, so there is not a tool to set rivets if you prefer that method.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard Romel's tool is perfect, kind of a small anvil like I show in the vids, only with two sides, which would be even better. If I was looking for a reed replacement kit I would order that.

I think the reed reshaping is very important...I feel everything adds up together, so I can't really single one move out as the most important! For OD I recommend getting a discrete comb from Winslow if he still has them and use that to practice, or at least (cheaper) take one or both covers off a practice harp and stop the draw reed and practice to get the feel for embouchure/pressure/bending up/etc. That will help a lot to then get it on a well adjusted harp.

I think reed arc can make a very responsive harp, but I find that adjusting the rivet end and then coming out pretty straight makes it easier to OB/OD and faster response. A large part of playing OB/OD is the damping of the "other" reed, and it seems that this task becomes easier with that straighter reed adjustment.

You're right on the pronunciation of Seydel (emphasis on first syllable), but it doesn't matter, just say it!!

Best wishes,

Rupert Oysler
www.harprepair.com

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, Rupert. Ron Baumann, FL Keys. Can u pls. help me cut to the chase? I want to know your opinion of what is the best reed replacement kit available. I'm toying with the idea of doing some myself.
On your repair DVD it appears u are using the type that used to be available thru F&R Farrell, now defunct. I went to the Seydel website but the prices seem to be stated in non-American dollars - what is the cost of the Seydel kit?
Btw, i've taken your custom harp apart and have carefully inspected it to try to duplicate your magic with the other 2 Seydels i bought from u. I made great strides towards that, thank u. Even my Soloist plays great now! I find it amazing the subtleties involved and find that the reshaping of the reed at the rivet end so that it dips into the slot, to be the biggest and most basic necessity in getting the harp to play and OB correctly. I'm still not sure of what i'm missing re getting the 7 hole to properly OD. Comments on both or either of this points will be appreciated?
I also see that u like to keep the reed pretty darn straight after that, whereas in another custom harp i have seems to arc slightly upwards, iirc.

I saw where u have waxed all reeds at the rivets in my custom Blues Fav. I was keeping that harp in my car so i would always have it available for drives, but am pretty sure the wax won't last here in the FL heat. I instead used nail polish on one of my Seydels, tho i'm not sure whether it helped or not. At least i didn't screw anything up (yet).
Why do u suppose Seydel chromes their reed plates on the Blues Fav.? Fwiw, I don't use them and would prefer to do away with the fancy cases and wiping clothes to bring down the price.
Ron
PS: I would have like to have posted this on harp-L, but i wasn't sure if i would be divulging your trade secrets, so feel free to reply on Harp-L if u'd like to.
PPS: I was talking to Jason Ricci about u and my new custom harp when he was last here in Key West. I told him that from the way u pronounced it, the name Seydel is
pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, as opposed to the second syllable as we Americans would tend to do - correct?