Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Music and perception

Smokey-Joe writes:

"My sentiments exactly Elizabeth. I did notice that the list of  names
the other day only included Toots on chromo. The other  names were ?
Cotton, Wilson, Piazza, Estrin, Mischo, Ricci,  Levy, and others?
These are ALL basically diatonic players. I  get the impression? that
diatonic players will be less inclined  to hold Steevie up as high as
their own favorites? Note the  number of question marks, as I wouldn't
want any of the experts  to think I was trying to delve into THEIR
territory."

.... Excellent point, Smo-Joe....Like you, that is in my opinion,  comparing
apples to oranges.  Poor Toots gets dragged out for every  chromatic argument,
yet I've seen Randy Singer more than hold HIS own in a  session with
Toots...Randy was fabulous...played "Toots" almost  better than "Toots" did.  So that
particular argument is gone  for me.  NO ONE holds Jason Ricci in higher
esteem than I  do.  So I find anyone using him in an argument about Stevie just a
teeny bit silly.  Again..I won't be pulled into anyone's putting  Stevie
Wonder down in order to elevate their favourites....just  not my game, though I was
originally tempted to jump in when I saw  Jason's name used in the post you
reference...

When I hear someone of the level of a Robert  Bonfiglio marvelling at the
talent of Stevie Wonder during his  own Grand  Canyon Seminar.....then I discount
any players not of the  caliber of Bonfiglio having anything to say about
Stevie's  chops.  I was delighted that his tastes were so much in sync with  mine
(even to how much he was moved by Jason's playing at SPAH in  Denver)...not
that I've ever needed anyone else's opinion to back up  my own, but it just
proves my contention that Stevie Wonder is at a  harmonic level some people just
don't seem to have the ability to  understand.

"Each and every time I have said anything about Steveland  Morris
Judkins, I have taken heat, so I don't talk about him any  more."

...actually I DO know that you happen to know  more facts than most people do
about him...so would listen to  what you had to say with much interest.  As
far as  "heat"?  Let 'em turn it up.  I'm not jaded  yet...<G>  :)

"I once made a statement and was barraged and reminded that  someone
'else' had spent "More time than anyone" studying  Steevie and his
works. When you think about it, that's a  ridiculous claim and one
that's hard to prove."

..hmm  If I remember this rightly (and please correct  me if I'm wrong)..the
person making that claim was speaking for and about  another poster who chose
not to get involved in that argument?  Someone I know we both respect highly?
I just discounted the one who  was speaking...since it wasn't his argument to
make.

 "First of all, I have played like Steevie before   there WAS a Steevie.
Fortunately, he passed me by and did something   with his time. :)
smokey-joe"

He passed most of the Free World by musically!  I keep telling  you how much
I like your playing...and style of playing.  And they  don't know your
background the way I do now. Maybe that's why I like  Stevie's chromatic so
much?...or like YOUR playing so much....one or  the other.  I'll have to ponder on that
some.  :)

Elizabeth