Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Music and perception

Haka Harri responds to my post with:

"I doubt that being European affects one's view of  multi-instrumentalists
that play harp or makes their opinions even faintly  ludicrous. As I said
earlier, Stevie is not "faulted" because he plays  other instruments"

... I didn't phrase it clearly.  I didn't mean to imply that  being European
and having that attitude was "faintly ludicrous". My  comment about "faintly
ludicrous" was in direct comment about Stevie  Wonder being faulted for not
focusing solely on his harp playing.  I  obviously did not make that point clear
enough.

Being European myself would seem to make it obvious I don't consider  ALL
Europeans as not respecting Stevie Wonder's talents; was merely making  an
observation about those who consistently put him down on  these lists.

  But I WILL disagree with your take that Stevie Wonder is "not  faulted for
playing other instruments".  Clearly that IS the case,  when it is so often
used to describe him compared to other harpists.

Every time the "Stevie" argument comes about ...on this list as well  as on
others, it inevitably involves two or three people who use the same  old
argument that he doesn't "play enough harp".  "Doesn't devote  himself as
'so-and-so' does to playing chromatic for X amount of  years"....."plays other
instruments"....."sings"...."writes"...."plays  keyboard", "drums". (Ergo cannot be a
serious enough, devoted enough,  "good" enough, harmonica player?)

Like it or not, all the practice in the world cannot make a silk  purse out
of a sow's ear.  For all any of us know, Stevie Wonder just  may not HAVE to
practice constantly or devote himself to the  harmonica every day to STILL be an
absolutely brilliant chromatic  harmonica player...sometimes natural
talent/genius will have out.   But I can't speak for him..the thing is that his life
isn't an open  book.  None of us know what he does in his daily life, nor how
much  time he devotes to his harmonica playing.

In previous outings his version of Alfie was brought up with the  description
of it as "Schmaltzy" and "boring".  The two people who  dissed him then (just
a few short months ago)comparing him to Toots  and if I remember correctly
went so far as to bring in  discussions of European classical composers of the
17th  century....were German and Dutch, and were like dogs with bones about the
 subject....wouldn't let it go until I simply stopped playing their  game.
Am I wrong about you and Pierre both being European as  well?  Many apologies,
then....if I find it all a bit odd.

When pointed out then that he issued the Eivets Rednow album  when he was no
older than 21 (I believe between the ages of 18 -  21)....it was discounted
...shunted aside.  Then his next 30 -  40 years of growth as a
composer/arranger/writer/musician was  dismissed as "pure pop", "Motown"....  So???

...as if somehow that made him "less" of a musician.   Stevie  Wonder can
hold his own with any top Jazz/Blues artist I  can think of.  Has the chops,
proves his chops...  doesn't HAVE to prove his chops.

...(I was trying to be kind and assuming that living in Europe  precluded
them from exposure to the Stevie that we Americans are  exposed to...that was
kind of what I was getting at...perhaps some  folks are still thinking of him as
someone in his 20's and not the  50+ year old man he is today....)

Many of us have heard him....perhaps those who constantly seek to  diss him
haven't been exposed to all of what we've heard.  I  only ask that instead of
jumping to constantly refute  his  talents and skill every time his name
surfaces, that these people who seem  to really dislike him enough to leap at every
opportunity to put him  down....actually LISTEN to what he's able to
do...instead of using  something he did or performed over 30 years ago as an
"example".

Or....how about just stop putting down a musician a lot of other  people hold
in high esteem?  What a concept!

When did it get to be de rigeur to put down one, in order to elevate
another?  I never understood that mindset.  Just because David  first said what he
did about Stevie Wonder's solo with Tony  Bennett...with reverence and so
obviously moved by the experience, there  was absolutely NO need to begin to dump on
his take on it.  Most  people didn't....the few who did, did so for some
strange reason of their  own.  What did they think?  That a simple statement of
awe  by David, if allowed to remain unchallenged on THIS list  somehow elevated
Stevie Wonder above their  favourites...so must be refuted?  How  absurd...
it gets wearying....

I'm not going so far as to say there's an innate prejudice against a
contemporary American player/composer but to me it seems to always be
there...hanging in the air, and the "multi-instrumentalist" argument used  purely as a red
herring.... make of THAT what you will...

Just my take on it...in my most humble  opinion......as a naturalized
American from Europe...  and  please note I never once discussed "best" or "better".
   :)

Elizabeth

"Message: 1