RE: [Harp-L] re: Diatonic-sounding chromatic?

From: Jonathan Ross <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I don't think any chromatic comes particularly close to the sound of a diatonic (though I also don't think they are that far apart to begin with). Probably Bill Barrett is the person who I think has the most raw tone on chromatic I've heard, and he plays CX-12s (modified?). ...

As for reeds, there is very little difference between the reeds used in chromatics and those used in diatonics (if any). I think the difference in sound comes mostly from two factors (other than playing style): first, the valving of the notes. This makes a big difference, as can be seen when you valve a diatonic. Second, the air leakage inherent in a slider-based system.

Good points Jonathan-
I would add to the difference factors:
The distance from the lips to the reed slot is much greater on the chromatic. It is still very much a harmonica. (NOT an accordion or melodica)
Bill Barrett's rawness seems tp come from his use of bends, double-stops/chords and his nasty raw amp/mic tone.

Michael Peloquin
http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg
http://www.harpsax.com

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001