[Harp-L] Re: Jumpin' the Blues by Magic Dick Harp Tuning

Hi, early on, before I learned about overblows, or even altered tunings, I
actually hit this note (before the solo, the extended flat seventh that
bends up to the root note.) I would blow bend the 6 a half step down. You
have to adjust the harp so it doesn't OB, and practice that blow bend down
for a bit. I did it on my Bb Special 20. It took a while before I could get
the half step down 6 blow to sound "full" enough, but it does work like
that. In fact, the method proved to be an oddity - so don't even think about
flaming me that it's impossible. It's possible.

Then, there is the other possibility to use a 5OB up to 6 blow (on a Bb
regular diatonic). That doesn't sound right at all. When you choke off
(move) from the 5OB to the 6 blow, there is a hiccup. The recording is a
smooth transition from 1/2 step below root, to the root note.

I may be even dumber for admitting I took the hard path to get to this, but
I had fun learning it.

Let me know if you determine the correct tuning, or proper key signature for
this song. I have been using Bb so long, I haven't bothered trying any other
key, or tuning. So this topic will undoubtedly spark my interest, and give
me something specific to explore this long holidays weekend.

I also heard tell... that Magic Dick doesn't use overblows - I am sure
somebody who knows him will chime in and correct me. Gotta love this list. I
would think that a special tuning is the easiest path to reconciling this
tune.

Thanks.

Happy Holidays!

From: Christopher Sprankle <crsprankle@xxxxxxxxx>
I've been working on this song in 2nd and 3rd
position.  It's good practice for overblows.  I have
no plans to change my harp tuning, but I was wondering
how Dick's harp is tuned.  It sounds like the 3 blow
is raised a whole step.  He also pops on what sounds
like a sixth or ninth chord on the head of the song.
Then near the end of his extended solo, he does this
thing where he hits the flat seventh and then slowly
bends up to the root note.  I know he likes to use
different types of harp tunings and calls them bebop,
swing, big band, etc.  I was just wondering if anyone
actually knows the layout of the harp notes on this song.