Re: [Harp-L] Improvising, starter tunes

This worked for me years ago as a guitar student and it worked for me more recently on harmonica:

  For jazz/soul improv:  start with a major 7th chord and move it between two positions- like elevator music.  move around on the instrument to find a two or three notes that sound right- add to it until you have assembled a scale of notes that all sound right.  This, of course, is easy on the guitar because you see the visual pattern and easily memorize it and slide it for different keys.  But I was able to duplicate my approach on harmonica- works well.  A more sophisticated or educated musician can probably indentify a formal name for the scale I discoved in my stupid approach- but it works for me.

  Next- introduce a minor 7th.  For example, do 4 beats on Fmaj7 and 4 on Emin7- repetively- use an easy arpeggio on the accompanying instrument for nice effect. (This is actually Santana's "Waiting Just For You" minus the bridge and chorus).  This is a simple and jam-able backdrop for overlaying a jazz scale.  It's pretty.

  Older, standards type jazz is harder but some of it actually works with a major scale like a country tune, so if it's the right key and you are holding the right harp it is a no-brainer.

  LC

Sponsored Link