Re: [Harp-L] Painting the wooden comb..

First of all, just about anything is going to be harmless once it's
completely cured.  Some people might disagree, but if you look
closely at the labels on most finishes, the precautions are for
handling of the material while it's being applied and curing (don't
breathe the vapors, etc.).  That said, having something shoved in
your mouth, rubbing it back and forth across your lips and tongue
continuously, you do want to be assured you're not exposing yourself
to something that's going to be dangerous or to which you're going
to be sensitive.

For this reason I use a food-safe finish called salad bowl finish to
seal wood combs.  It is clear and will not cover ugly sanding
discoloration, although it does leave a sort of "wet sheen".  Shelac
is NOT harmful, as it is sometimes used to coat fruits and
vegetables, although it is not as permanent, and may eventually wear
off and require retreatment.

One thing I would heartily recommend NOT using a water-based paint
unless you're going to apply a sealer over it, because the color, if
nothing else more harmful, will come off on your mouth.

-tim