RE: [Harp-L] bye bye bird

TomEHarp asks:

> it llooks like sonny is playing a hohner 364 ?? in   the key of C
> ????? love
> how he does it. i'm not sure it is a 364. thanks for any help.
>

> tom lee

I do believe that's a H-365 14-hole low C Marine Band that SBII's played on
"Bye Bye Bird" and other similar tunes, Tom. I don't know whether the 364
comes in low C or not, but that is critical to enable you to play "Bird"
like Sonny Boy did. The low C SBS Special is similar in many ways to the
365, but its note layout is different and it lacks some of the notes that
Sonny Boy uses frequently in "Bye Bye Bird."

Both the low C 365 and SBS harps are great harps, some of my most favored of
all my harmonicas. Like any Marine Band, they deserve some work like sealing
the comb and replacing the nails with screws. These harps provide many
dividends when treated thusly. They are loud and sound great. They are
different beasts, even though they look identical. The 365 is a chord and
octave monster played with a tongue block embouchure. I love it for gospel
music because it can sound almost like a church organ. The SBS is also very
versatile compared with a standard 10-holer. It adds another octave lower
than the standard "C" Marine Band and can be used to play the same riffs in
both low and normal C octaves ranges. It's also great for playing bass lines
while accompanying others.

Now back to lurk mode...  8^)

Michelle