[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 39, Issue 23

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:21:57 -0700
From: "Nick Kirkes" <nick.kirkes@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] head vs. combo; sort of a harp question
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I know this isn't technically a harp question, but it relates to performing
with one.
Welcome to the game - the Gear Aquisition Syndrome (GAS) is the game I mean.
There is one advantage to using a more powerful amp in the HEAD and
seperate CAB  format, that I can think of. It's the proximity deal.
You can have the amp head near you and your harps, and set the cabinet
away from you, or elsewhere (where ever it will fit) on the stage. You
won't need to worry too much about feedback issues to *some* degree.
When you use a giant combo rig, you can only get so far away from it -
and if you have to adjust it, you have to mind the feedback. Having an
amp head (even a low watt one) right next to you, is pretty
convenient.

Hope that 2 cents helps.

I'm new to the amp game and am getting comfortable with my Blues Jr (just
ordered some new tubes and a vintage element for my 520dx [thanks Tim]).

Out of curiosity, I've been researching more powerful rigs.  Some of the
amps I've looked at can come as combo or as a head and I'm curious what the
major benefits of going with a head might be.  At first, I was thinking that
going with a head rather than a combo would allow you more flexibility in
terms of the speakers (number, size, etc.) but than I thought that it might
not matter as you'll always be limited by the wattage of the amp itself.  Am
I correct?  Any other insights for me?

Thanks,

Nick