Re: [Harp-L] 2 draw woes

How did Iceman suggest this be done?
  Hi, my name is Grant and I'm a harmonica player from Seattle....I lurk most of the time but emerge when I think I can contribute. I met many of you in Kansas City and hope to meet the rest at the next SPAH.

  I run into this problem with my students from time to time. Most often the problem lies with the student's mouth shape or position. If their mouth is in a shape where, if  they were speaking, they would be creating an eh or an ih sound, that can help create a choke on a 2 or 3 draw.

  I'd suggest having the student raise their soft palate to create a wide open ah sound and then gently draw on the 2 to see what happens. If choking still occurs, then have them get a clean, soft 1 draw and then slide up to the 2 draw in the same breath. Another trick is to get a 123 draw chord and then narrow the lips dpwn so you just get the 2 draw. This, of course assumes your student is using the puckering method to get single notes.

  I hope this is helpful. Please contact me off list if I can be of further assistance.
  all the best and happy T-day to you all.
  Grant Dermody

Bob Cohen <bcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  One of my students can't seem to produce a clean G note from the 2
draw hole on his C harp. No matter how he holds the harp, how far
into his mouth he holds it, what he does with his tongue, the damn
thing chokes and goes flat. I can play his harp all day long.
Regapping didn't work. I'm flat out of ideas (pun intended). Any
help would be appreciated.

Bob Cohen
Principal, MojoTools Web Design
Blues Harmonica Lessons