[Harp-L] And, In this corner

Weight...... 154 lbs 3 oz
Height........6' 0 1/2"
Reach........Yes he does
Age............ 32
Record.......Yes

Introducing, from Nashville Tenn., The heavy weight champion of the world

I had only met him recently. It was the Buckeye Harmonica Fest (circa 2005?)
I hadn't really heard him till then. I mean really REALLY heard him. What I mean
is that I had heard OF him, and everything I had head was positive.

Well I got to hear him a second time at the blues blow off at Herman's Hideaway
in Denver this past August. We got there late and I was only able to catch a snippet. Then his
set at the SPAH hotel locale, gave me a tantalyzing third all too brief snipett in an all too sterile
environment. For, you see, he is meant to be heard both live AND raw. One needs to
FEEL the power, feel the angst, feel the pain, feel the passion, feel the youth, feel the virility,
feel the strength. And it must be live and in living color. And the color would have to be blood red.

You see, this amazing human being from the planet earth (yes he IS from earth) bleeds his music.
He literally opens up his arteries and bleeds his life out for you. It doesn't matter if there is only
one of you, ten of you, a hundred, or a thousand. He gives his all, regardless.

Now I have made it no secret that way back in 19 and 60, I was a mere lad of 18 a hobo for a time. During that
short period I had the good fortune to develop a love for blues to add to my jazz addiction. I got to hear
some of the best over these 46 years, and I had never ever experienced anything like the champ.

Are there harp players who can match his speed? Maybe, but I have never heard one. Can anyone
match his clean accuracy? Maybe, but I am unable to recollect one. How about the ability to 'catch' bent notes in any one of 4? steps and do it spot on? Hmmm, still thinking. What about 13 straight minutes of flourishes at 262 beats per minute? Hey, you got ME by the halo. Now then, what about the ability to change the flourishes and come up with a mind boggling number of variations, so as to never bore the listener. I'm stumped to answer.

Unlike most players who show you everything they have in their 'Tucker-Bag' in the first tune or two, 'DA Man' can
keep up an unrelenting barrage of so many different calibre guns, it's like the battle of Midway. So here we are in a country that has this annoying penchant for making everything into a contest. I get sick and tired of that. It's not that one player is better or worse than another. It's as simple as 'Everyone is just different'. But if we MUST think from a competitive level, then this man is definitely MY choice.

I got to spend two nights with him at a tiny oyster bar named Bert's in the scenic little swamp fishing village of Matlache (phonetic.. Matt La Shay), and I gotta tell ya. MY life will never be the same. I even tried to adopt him.

So, who IS this marvel (who wears no mask, no sun glasses, no funny hat(s), uses no gimmicks)?

Winner..FOR the title...By Knock out... 2 min 55 sec of the second round...............Jason Ricci

your humble scribe....smokey joe