[Harp-L] re: between keys and what is a key?

My band tunes to a tuner and they tune between every set. Some people don't like tuners. I find them a godsend.

What's a key? A range of notes. A singer has a limited range. You find the notes the singer can handle and you figure out the key. Say your singer can sing from the G below middle C to the G above middle C. Your song is in the key of A and the noted go to the A above middle C. You transpose the melody down so the singer can hit the high notes.

Guitarists like the key of E and A because they're easy and they sound good. I find rock and roll piano really rings out in G and C. Sure the piano is chromatic but to my ear those are the two best sounding keys.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm